Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wednesday, July 29 Letter

Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Hello! I can't believe that this is four weeks now in the MTC! Every day and week seems to mesh together and even the days are going quickly now. I am so grateful for all of the letters I have been getting! So much wonderful support and love and I feel so uplifted.
I love the MTC- I can't wait to get out and be able to teach, but for now, feeling the Spirit so often and learning so much is definitely the best. Every day seems to have a theme! For example, we'll have a lesson on prayer, then the devotional will be on prayer and then I'm like yeah I definitely need to improve my prayers! Yesterday it was the Book of Mormon. We went to a meeting and a teacher trainer chastized us for not studying it as thouroughly and often as we should be. Then last night we went to devotional and the talk was on the Book of Mormon and how it is such a miracle! Elder Robert K. Dellenbach spoke on its importance as our most powerful tool in bringing others to Christ. It is the Keystone of our religion, as Ezra Taft Benson said, because it is a witness that Jesus is the Christ, it contains the fulness of the gospel and it testifies of the truthfulness of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or as I should say now, La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias. I know that the Book of Mormon does in fact contain the fulness of the gospel and that with daily reading it will immensely bless our lives. Elder Dellenbach said "Too often we forget our daily feasting!" I challenge all of us to feast daily on the words of the Book of Mormon, because I know we will be blessed as we draw closer to Christ and follow the principles of His gospel to receive the greatest gift of eternal life! I am grateful for all the ways the Book of Mormon has blessed my life.
Recently I was feeling a little discouraged- I guess its a little harder than I thought to learn a new language! But I was reading in the book of Mormon (I recently just started again) in 1 Nephi 1:20. It says: "....But Behold, I Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, becuase of their faith to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." Wow- there was a verse in Nephi I had never noticed before yet in my daily reading the Spirit led me to have it mean so much in my life at that moment. It was another time that I could recognize that my Heavenly Father loves me and will always be there for me! Hermana Crawford and I were talking about tender mercies and how basically everthing I have here is a tender mercy- my amazing companion, my district that I love so much, my zone where everyone loves each other and works hard, and the fact that I am able to be here learning and preparing to teach and serve the people of Argentina. Because of my faith I have been chosen and the Lord will make me mighty unto the power of deliverance. What a great blessing. I strive to work as hard as I can to have that faith so I can receive that power from God.
Last week I was able to once again teach in the TRC. It was the most powerful experience I have had here. I connected so easily with the teacher and expressed my love for her and that we wanted her to be happy. We testified of the importance of the atonement and that it truly saves us if we are repent, are baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. The spirit was so strong as I tesified of its influence in my life and that because of our Savior's great sacrifice I can return to live with my Heavenly Father and have the fulness of joy. I then asked if she would like to be baptized and she agreed. Even though I knew she was already a member, it was the greatest feeling that through the Spirit of the Lord I can help others come to Christ. It was truly a blessing to me to be able to know for a surety that that is why I am here. Also the teacher said she really needed that. It was the best experience!!
Yesterday we had an Elder leave early (a week before he was supposed to go with his district down to Argentina) because of health problems. He has such great faith because he knew that whatever the reason, because he was being obedient the Lord's hand was is in it. He is such a great example of faith, to know that whatever happens it will be alright. He understood better than I did! I am glad I got to know Elder Phelps, he is such a wonderful example and taught me to always trust in the Lord. Every Sunday we get to go watch Music and the Spoken Word. It is so awesome and great activity for the sabbath.
Ok. A little bit about the everyday experiences at the MTC. The weirdest thing I ate this week was a salad with turkey, pineapple, blueberries, cinnamon almonds, and bbq ranch. It was actually very delicious! For gym we now play Bump or lightning (basketball) like every day. Its so fun. I like breakfast the best because I can make what I want! The other day I had cottage cheese and peaches with peanut butter toast. This Elder said it looked like I had ordered something and it was prepared for me! haha it was funny.
We have a word we always say in our district- cuyo. it means whose. and it just cracks us up every time. Also Los monos de Fe means the monkeys of faith, and whenever we have a game in the classroom that is a team name, or Los tiburones de diligencia.
I love my district and my teachers- it makes it easier because we get along so well!!
Hermana Godfrey and I will be auditioning to sing in a large group meeting upon much encouragement for others. I'm excited but we still have to go sing a song. Every time in class we sing a hymn it really does sound amazing- I'm surprised! Hermana Godfrey's harmonies are seriously so beautiful.
Have a wonderful week and live the gospel! It is true! It brings us true joy!!!
Love, Hermana Dunford

No comments:

Post a Comment