Monday, September 19, 2011

Getting Carmen Registered for Classes

Oct 2010
The past few weeks I (Susan) have been working to get everything in order to get Carmen registered for Classes at BYU for January (winter semester) 2011.  She and I have emailed back and forth about it, but mostly I have worked with the department head at BYU and received information/direction from him.  Carmen was accepted into the Print Journalism Program with a deferral - to start the semester after she gets home. She applied while she was attending winter 2009 before her mission.  I had to get a few things straightened out with holds on her account: Mary had received a parking ticket on BYU Campus while she was a student at Paul Mitchell and driving "Bruce" our green Nissan Sentra that was still registered with Carmen's info.  Of course BYU couldn't get ahold of Carmen about the ticket since she was in Argentina and not responding to that old email address they had on file.  Mary just threw the ticket away thinking they had nothing on her since she wasn't a BYU student.  It got sent to collections!  All that took a certain amount of sleuthing and paying and calling and ironing out.  Even after I had paid for everything there was still a hold on her account that I had to make a phone call about to get removed - good thing I checked back before trying to go on at midnight for her assigned registration time!  Well, anyway - I finally got everything lined up and figured out and registration completed.  Sort of.  When I went on at midnight, one of the class times that I had slotted had been changed.  Yikes! I had to do some quick arranging.  Luckily She is upper class and therefore had a pretty good chance of getting the classes she needed anyway.  Except for maybe the basketball!  I also had to sign her up for one one a "rain check" basis.  Once she is okayed by staff as qualifying to take it, they email her and she is allowed to officially add it.  So I contacted the lady responsible for that and gave her my email and explained the situation.  As it turned out, she still sent it to the wrong email and I had to call and get the OK and then add the class.  It was all quite complicated and time consuming, but all worked out okay in the end.  The dept head told me more than once to be sure she wasn't registered for more than 12 hours since it is such a demanding class load this semester - one of the classes includes a lab that is like a part time job with a journalistic "beat" - interviewing and writing assignments and deadlines for articles in the Daily Universe, the University Newspaper. Wow!  writing this in hindsight - Carmen got the assignment of human interest type stories and cultural event coverage.  She had dozens of articles published - many were front page!  She even had one that was so good the Deseret News (SLC Newspaper) publish it.  Very cool.
She also realized after school started that she needed to carry at least 14 credit hours to quailfy for her scholarship.  So she added a 3 hour Spanish class. Crazy.  Plus she was working at her warehouse job.  Crazy Busy.  And she did a great job and got great grades. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment